Despite the fact that Krugersdorp fielded a men's hockey team since 1908, according to pictorial evidence, and the fact that the idea of K.H.O.S.A. was accepted in principle in 1917, the first reference to KHOSA fielding a men's hockey team to participate in matches on the West Rand was in 1931, when six male enthusiasts, spearheaded by past students such as Herbert Dent organized a team.
The 1930's were characterized by the men increasing their number of league teams to three to participate in West Rand league fixtures, and then in 1937 entering the Southern Transvaal structure and attending trial matches. At best, the first team played in the second league and despite winning this league on several occasions, it lost the promotion-relegation league play-off and so were denied the opportunity to play in the first league. Eventually in 1939 the men's first team did gain promotion to the Southern Transvaal First League and finished in a creditable third position. During the same period of the 1930's, the women's section grew from one to three teams, and in 1938, by beating Vereeniging 6-0, the first team were rewarded with First League status. Just as the women's section was gaining momentum, the Second World War (1939 - 1945) interrupted the hockey programme, and after the war, a hockey rebuilding process had to commence. One positive development was the replacement of the gravel fields with grass at the Wanderers Grounds, and hence the number of casualties of 'grazed knees, elbows and hands' was minimized.
The post-war years saw both men's and women's sections fielding two teams each. The men's section suffered a loss with the untimely death of 'Bully' Danilowitz who had been Club Captain for eight years and who played a significant role in keeping KHOSA hockey from disintegrating. With the restructuring of Southern Transvaal hockey, the Johannesburg and District Hockey Organisation was established in 1946. The men's first team played in the 2nd league West and the second team in the 3rd league.
KHOSA, while participating in the Johannesburg league, was classified as a district union and in 1948 H. Kassel and R.C. Stead were selected for the West Rand District Team to participate in the Country District Festival. During this period, the men who provided the backbone of the two teams included Wheeler, Stead, Windell, Shaw, Steenkamp, Reed D, Reed N, Kassel, Osrin, Rosenberg, Wirtz, Rink, Faul, Da Silva, Diab, Thompson, Brunette, Surtzsky, Emmett, Waks, Friedman, Barnes, Williams W, Williams L, Solomon, Webster, Foley, Gordon, Bornman and Goldstein. Despite the fact that the women's teams were a distinct improvement in quality of play, recruitment of additional players proved to be a problem. Krugersdorp High School, which should have been a natural feeder to the Women's section, failed to do so because students lived in a fairly widely extended area from Maraisburg and Florida to Randfontein and Westonaria, and transport proved to be a major problem.
During the 1950's the men's section fielded either two or three teams annually while the women accounted consistently for two teams. 1954 was a particularly successful year for the men, and four players, I. Thompson, N. Reed, B. de la Roche and D. Windell represented West Rand. In 1960 several major developments occurred which included a move from the Bob van Reenen Stadium to the Ivy Greig fields, lower down, where facilities were somewhat limited. It was at this time that a major drive occurred to inject new life into the KHOSA club and from 1962, under the able chairmanship of Don Armstrong, supported by an enthusiastic committee, with the number of men's teams rising to five and women to three. However, the unfortunate failure to raise sufficient capital, despite the offer of a loan, interest free, from the Town Council, ruled out alternative sites for a clubhouse and fields in Muldersdrift, and what is currently situated in the Noordheuwel area. The parent committee of KHOSA was disbanded but both hockey and cricket continued at their usual venues, and successfully so.
By 1971 the Hockey Section could boast a membership of +120 members which enabled the men to field six league teams, and the women, four. The men's first team won the Southern Transvaal Reserve 'B' league, and three players - M. Smart, W. Hart and A. Rymer were selected for the West Rand Country Districts team. In addition, boys' hockey was unofficially started at K.H.S. and from this point onwards, a youth development programme would pave the way for a regular intake of future league players. A year later, 1972, the men's first team was promoted to the Reserve 'A' league, one step away from Premier League. In the meantime, the men's teams increased to seven and the women to four.
Owing to provincial road works, the Ivy Greig fields could no longer be used and so from the mid-70's to the early 80's, a move was made to the West Rand Consolidated Mines fields, which not only provided better playing surfaces, but also improved general amenities. In 1975, KHOSA men gained promotion to the Premier League, and in the five years to follow, found the opposition to be formidable and included fixtures against teams, which included both provincial and past and present Springbok players. Three other West Rand clubs also had Premier League status - Roodepoort, Florida and Rand Leases - and also found hockey at this level 'tough'. However, it was a good learning experience, and coupled with the growing strength of K.H.S. boys' and girls' hockey, the future of the club was assured. Unfortunately in the new Premier League structure, the men's team was relegated to the Reserve A League, then Reserve B league and finally Second League. However, a general improvement in the quality of the women's section, enabled the women's first team to gain Promotion League status. The early 1980's may well be termed the 'Renaissance of KHOSA hockey' for a variety of factors:-
The amalgamation of KHOSA with West Rand Consolidated Mines cricket and hockey would broaden the base of the club. The fact that for the first time in its history, KHOSA had a headquarters - the Stan Friedman Sports Complex in Frederick Cooper Drive, Kenmare (opposite the Krugersdorp High School) where players and supporters could gather for both sport and socially, gave KHOSA a 'geographical home" and an identity.
In 1986, an Irish International player, Kenny Morris, was employed to resurrect KHOSA hockey. The men's 1st team won the 2nd league and was promoted to the Reserve League and then Promotion League and finally gained Premier League status in 1999. The momentum of the 1980's was maintained into the 1990's - increased membership, greater number of league teams, a mini-hockey explosion, high school students showing greater involvement, participation in indoor and summer leagues, increased number of players gaining selection to representative teams and improved press liaison. The Ladies 1st team showed great improvement and in 1993 won League 2A and were promoted to Promotion League; in 1999 Premier League status was gained. The Southern Gauteng Hockey Association (S.G.H.A.) recognised that KHOSA was the leading club on the West Rand and, in fact, set an example to many other clubs. Hence it was nor surprising that KHOSA has consistently been recognized as one of the top five clubs amongst the +40 clubs which constitute the S.G.H.A.
The criteria used by the S.G.H.A. to evaluate these 40 clubs, fielding a combined 250 teams, involving some 3,000 players on Sunday, as well as those involved in Saturday veteran/masters matches, are wide-ranging:-